Kayla M. Fratt
Animal behavior expert, writer, world traveler.
Let's get to know each other.
Animal Behavior Expert
I'm one of only ~300 Certified Dog Behavior Consultants in the World and am a sought-after expert in canine behavior.
Hire a writer who has published hundreds of articles on animal behavior and biology and has been quoted by Wirecutter, Hill's Science Diet, How Stuff Works, and more. I specialize in difficult behavior cases like aggression and anxiety. I'm not just going to Google something. If you want to write about dogs, I am one of the experts.
I spent much of 2018-2019 traveling the world, driving from Canada to Panama with my dog and my partner.
This means I'm a true remote-work expert. I'm also fluent in Spanish and have a lot of experience navigating borders in countries like Guatemala and Nicaragua. Driving the Pan-American highway has always been one of my dreams, and I made it a dog-friendly reality. Working remotely allowed me to build Journey Dog Training to its current size!
I have worn a lot of hats. In the past, I've:
- Trained rescue dogs to sniff out invasive plants, diseases, wildlife contraband and the scat of endangered species.
- Helped revamp the decision-making process regarding outcomes of animals in an animal shelter.
- Instructed other dog trainers on how to conduct virtual behavior consultations.
- Mist netted bats in the Amazon rainforest and birds in the Chiricahua Mountains.
- Clicker trained hippos, beavers, falcons, cats, and more.
- Trained thousands of dogs of all shapes, sizes, and behavior problems.
- Founded a college Nordic ski team.
- Competed in 50-kilometer ski marathons (and a few running marathons).
- Studied the factors influencing stress and stereotypic behaviors in zoo-housed gorillas.
- Researched functional vocalizations of Monk Parakeets.